Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Wordle

Yesterday I was spending my day using my favourite procrastination tool...Absolute Write. (it's a little sad that the site I've used to gain so much knowledge has now become where I waste time).

And then I came across another way to procrastinate (though it is also a helpful revision tool). One of the members posted a link to the website Wordle. A lot of you who read this have probably heard of it before. For those who haven't, it's a site where you can go and paste in a text sample and it'll show you the most common words from your text.

In my case,  I pasted my manuscript into the box and clicked submit. It then gave me an image of all my common words (after I downloaded a Java plug in-that was a bit of a pain in the butt). The bigger the word is, the more I've used it in my manuscript.

Follow the jump if you want to see.







Well, now I know I have a bit of a problem with the words back, just, around, and one.

It's pretty cool. I think the image is fun to look at (and at the site you can play with the fonts/colours/sizes/etc), but it is also a decent revision tool. It helps me recognize some of the words I might have a problem with. Which, unfortunately, I might have missed otherwise.

It also pointed out that some of the words I'd been targeting in my MS aren't actually a big deal. I thought I had a huge 'seemed' problem. So much that I actually just went through and searched my MS to make sure there aren't any and my Wordle isn't wrong...and there are none. I must've gotten rid of them all in the second draft.

So anyway, that's my post for today. Check the Wordle out. It's pretty neat :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's pretty cool! I'll have to check it out and see if it tells me what I already know or offers some surprising information.

    ReplyDelete