Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Knowing the Process

Today we had PD.  PD is a day for teachers to be students and learn a little more about how to be teachers.  We do this 2-3 times a year.

I chose to go to a workshop that was about organization and avoiding procrastination.  I could use the avoiding procrastination help :)  We were also told to bring a major project, which was the main reason I went.  I was hoping for some book writing time.

I didn't get it, but I did get a bit of a funny story.

Part of the workshop was about setting goals.  So he put up a sentence starter "If time were not an issue, I would..."

He looks for answers and eventually asks "Who would write a book?"

I raise my hand (sidenote, before this year, I probably never would have admitted I was a writer--I was too afraid I'd fail).

So he starts asking questions.  And I think, from the start, that he expected this conversation to go a very different way.



"How much have you done?"

"I've written the first draft."

This is where he stops and blinks at me for a second.  I think he thought I was going to be a 'I haven't started person.'  But I'm not.  Two years ago I found AW and started working toward being an author.  I'm not that same writer I was five years ago, who was a someday girl.  I'm a writer.  I write.

But he needs to poke some holes somewhere, so he can make his point.

Next question: "Well, when did you start it?"

"When summer vacation began."

I think again he thought I'd say years ago.  I didn't.  This book got written fast.  More questions followed.

"What are you doing now?" (waiting to have fresh eyes to revise)
"What will you do after?" (revise again and then look for betas)
"When will you get it published?" (after I look for agent representation)
'What kind is it?" (Middle Grade Urban Fantasy)
"How many pages?" (WTF, it's 40,000 words)

I had it all down.  I finally feel like I know what I am doing.  I know my writing.  I know what I need to do and how to get there.

Today, I felt like I am a writer. It's the first time, without any uncertainty, that this is what I am.  I live my writing, I know my writing.  I'm not a fake.  I'm not pretending. I don't doubt it.

I am a writer.

So tell me, when did you finally believe you were a writer?


No comments:

Post a Comment